Replacement for Excel add-in

Hi folks, it’s been a long time since I’ve used WWT, and I’d like to upload some data with lat. & long. data for viewing data locations on the earth. However, the Excel add-in will not install without an older version of Excel (it looks like it would work if I had Excel 2013, but I have Office 2016).

Is there a workaround or another way to use WWT to view this data? I can easily change it to .csv

Thanks!

If you are able to convert to a csv, you should be able to copy the data from a text editor and right click on the desired reference frame in the WWT Windows client and select “Paste” which will walk you through the layer creation wizard. I am happy to help you navigate this if you run into trouble.

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get to that point yet because WWT will not run. Each time I start it I get this message:

AAS WorldWide Telescope has encountered an error. Click OK to restart or Cancel to attempt to ignore the error and continue.

If I click OK it restarts then shuts down. I have v. 6.0.907.0 (and the same issue occurred with the prior version) on a Windows 10 computer. I did a reinstall and still get the same behavior.

Oh no, that is not the desired outcome, obviously.

Can you share what hardware you are using? I am hoping this is not an Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics bug: Crash with Intel Iris Xe graphics · Issue #196 · WorldWideTelescope/wwt-windows-client · GitHub.

Nothing too complicated, just a Dell 5420 Latitude Laptop, with 16 GB RAM and 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1145G7 @ 2.60GHz 1.50 GHz and Intel UHD graphics.

Maybe it’s better to consider my original goal. There was a time when I could connect WWT with geolocation data (lat, long and depth) via the Excel plugin. I’d like to do the same with a data file (only lat and long) to visualize locations. A display that represents concentration (color or dot size) at each location would be valuable too. If this isn’t possible with the current iteration of WWT, there’s no need to invest more time on the software issue.

We should be able to accomplish what you want with the data in WWT as I described above, but there is not a excel plugin currently.

As for your hardware, if you have a discrete gpu, you might try forcing WWT to use it and this might alleviate your crashing.

Thanks for your help. I think I’ll table this until I have more time to trouble-shoot and try workarounds.