Saturn Pack (September 2020)

I’m happy to be able to share with you the newest content pack that updates the Saturn system!

Check out the new additions in our hype video: https://youtu.be/qLLobE6_qH4

Explore the moons of Saturn: Titan, Enceladus, Mimas, Dione, Rhea, Iapetus, Tethys, and Hyperion with texture maps from the Cassini spacecraft. All of Cassini’s trajectories are represented and color coded by mission phase. The spacecraft itself is imported as a 3D model and the moon total at Saturn is updated to 82.

Download the tour: https://bit.ly/WWT-SaturnPackTour and the layers: https://bit.ly/WWT-SaturnPackLayers to view in the Windows client and let me know what you think!

1 Like

Great resource thanks! I’ve uploaded the layer. How can I manually pick/travel to the moons (not through the tour)? Can I link them to one of the menus?
Is it possible to get the layer to open with each WWT restart?

Thank you, I’m glad that you like it!

When you load the layer, to get to moons you will need to right click on the moon layer and click “Track Reference Frame” in the layer manager on the left of the screen (Sun -> Saturn -> Enceladus). This unfortunately will put you inside of it, so zoom/scroll out (a lot) and then you will see it. If a moon has multiple layers, like Titan, you can check them on and off to view one or the other.

There currently is not a way to set a layer to load up by default when WWT opens.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for your great work! Where do I find step-by-step tutorials of how to install new packs, new layers etc.?

Thank you!

As far as the tours (file ending in .wtt) are concerned, in the top left of the window, select “Explore” -> “Open” -> “Tour”

All tours should work on the Windows client, while only some will work on the web client - I try to specify which is the intended use. In this case, the Saturn Pack tour is intended for the Windows client.

For a layer file (ending in .wwtl), select “Explore” -> “Open” -> “Layer” and you should see new options in the layer manager on the left side of the screen. As mentioned above, once the layers are loaded, in order to get to the new moon textures you will need to right click on the moon layer (Sun -> Saturn -> Enceladus) and click “Track Reference Frame” in the layer manager on the left of the screen. This unfortunately will put you inside of it, so zoom/scroll out (a lot) and then you will see it. If a moon has multiple layers, like Titan, you can check them on and off to view one or the other.

Layers only open in the Windows client and there currently is not a way to set a layer to load up by default when WWT opens.

For a collection (ending in .wtml) of astroimagery, you can simply double click the file in the file explorer, or “Explore” -> “Open” -> “Collection” - this should work on both Windows and web clients. The Saturn Pack doesn’t have a collection associated with it, so an example would be the NOIRLab Highlights (November 2020)

Let me know if you need clarification!

Astrodavid, thanks for the resource. We are trying to get the Saturn pack to work with our planetarium (6 CPU/6 projector set-up with a control computer). When we open the layer named saturn_pack, we can see “regular” Titan, “colorful” Titan, Hyperion, and Enceladus on the control computer. On the dome, we can only see colorful Titan, Enceladus, and Hyperion. We needed to go to the layer menu and select “Track this frame” and zoom out to see Enceladus. Sending the layer to the projector doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Any suggestions?
Bruce

1 Like